Monday, September 6, 2010

Happy Labor Day!

I am a fan of national holidays. Not only is it an excuse for a long weekend, but it also provides a reason for people to get together and to celebrate.

For my readers not in the U.S., let me tell you a little bit about this holiday:

Labor Day is a U.S. federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September (each year). Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer. The holiday is often regarded as a day of rest and parties. Forms of celebration include picnics, barbecues, fireworks displays, water sports, and public art events. Families with school-age children take it as the last chance to travel before the end of summer recess. Similarly, some teenagers and young adults view it as the last weekend for parties before returning to school, although school starting times now vary.

For me, this year's labor day is even more special, because I believe it marks the end of my school years and the start of my grown up years.

No comments:

Post a Comment