Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Revelation

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for many things. One of which is that I am endowed with the smarts and a natural sense of curiosity which has allowed me to be adventurous. I am thankful of my family who has stood by me all these years supporting me in my goals and dreams. I realized that the reason for my accomplishments today is for many parts the direct consequence of having knowledge and the desire to seek knowledge. I realized, through talking to many of my peers, that the prospect of knowledge seeking decreases as one ages. That is, once the memory of school fades behind you, as work intensifies and responsibilities amps up, people often find that the search for advanced education and knowledge becomes a luxury. But it shouldn't be!

In my revelation during this holiday, I've decided to utilize my love of blogging and my desire to be more knowledgeable and cultured, to spend some time each day seeking interesting things that I can learn from. I have a whole list of documentary films that I want to watch, museum exhibits I want to view, lectures to attend and people to talk to. I really believe that we must NOT live a mindless life, that is, we just go through all the motions of life--eating, drinking, dating, getting married, finding a job, having kids, pay the mortgage, and finally sleeping---but that we should be mindful of ourselves, our behaviors, our surroundings and most importantly, our thoughts. No matter where we are in life, what we are doing, whatever our emotional state, I think that every individual should aim to improve themselves through seeking knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment