Friday, August 27, 2010

What We Least Expect

Peter said [to the man], "I have no silver or gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk."
-Acts 3:6 (NRSV)
In today's reading from Acts chapter three, the beggar who was laid at the temple gate thought his greatest need was money. He had been crippled since birth and had no way to earn income for life's necessities. Consequently, he had begged for money.

Had Peter and John given the man money, his immediate need would have been met, but his life would not have changed. The next day he would have been back at the gate again, begging. Instead, Peter looked at the man's greater need -- his need for physical and spiritual healing. The beggar left the gate that day a changed man, praising God. He could walk! He received not what he asked for but what he needed.

Like many people, I struggle and work hard daily to reach my goals, often times walking blindly toward nothing. There were many things that I thought I "needed" but truth is often times when I actually get it, I realize I actually "need" something else. That is human nature. Today's devotion made me reflect on the wonderful phenomenon that I don't necessarily need to figure out everything myself but to trust that God will be there to guide me and to lead me, and all I need to do is to trust Him to give me what I need.




Prayer

Dear Father, thank you for meeting our deep needs, even when what comes to us is not what we expected. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment